What makes us Mission North?
- We’re a down-to-earth team that knows how to have fun at work and outside the office
- We believe in lifelong learning and personal growth
- Recognizing employees for their hard work is deeply embedded in our culture
- And we offer some pretty amazing perks
We’re hiring a Content Strategist specializing in security and/or enterprise technology to work in our fast-growing Content Studio in San Francisco. The full-time position will lead content programs for a number of accounts across a spectrum of technology areas and will collaborate on content with clients including CTOs/CIOs, CISOs, CEOs and other C-level executives, as well as research directors, threat analysts and others.
The Content Strategist will also partner on cross-agency content initiatives with Elinor Mills — Senior Vice President of the Content Studio and a former veteran journalist at AP, Reuters, CNET and IDG — and others on the team.
Here’s what you would be doing day-to-day:
- Work with executives to develop strategic content with unique points of view by leading interviews, conducting research and tapping experts in the industry
- Facilitate workshops and executive thought leadership platforms with C-level clients
- Write bylined articles/op-eds in partnership with client contacts and executive spokespeople
- Take charge of editorial programs, working with our team and freelance writers to manage content development and placement with top publications
- Counsel clients on content strategy, mapping our ideas and recommendations to business and communications goals
- Shape strategies for extending story ideas into campaigns that might include bylined articles, data reports, blog posts, social media programs, and other digital content
- Work with account team leads to manage program goals and budget; partner with senior leads to upsell and expand programs
- Expertly edit content from team members at all levels to improve structure, clarity, concision, voice and tone; recommend strategies for strengthening writing of all kinds
- Manage and mentor junior team members; create resources to nurture writing talent at the agency
- Support new business presentations and participate in pitches
- Lead an agency marketing initiative (e.g., blog, social media) and contribute to our team’s thought leadership efforts
Here’s what we’re looking for in a candidate:
- Writing: You’re an exceptional writer with 5+ years experience in technology journalism, writing, PR and/or content marketing. You’re versatile; you can write craft a thought leadership byline for a C-level executive, draft lighthearted social copy and write a research-driven report.
- Domain expertise: You understand the CTO/CIO and/or CISO and have experience writing for this audience. You can write knowledgeably about the security and/or enterprise technology industries and have general knowledge and writing experience in one to two other market sectors relevant to our clients, such as: cloud/infrastructure, management/leadership, fintech, advertising/marketing technology or life sciences.
- Strategy: You’re a critical thinker who can recommend ways to reach the right audience(s) and help our clients achieve their communications and business goals. You understand the landscape of outlets publishing contributed content and can discern what topic and format would be most fitting for a given outlet. You understand the fundamentals of content marketing and can recommend new, creative ways to tell our clients’ stories.
- Thought leadership: You’re able to shape thought leadership content for our clients and develop points of view that advance industry conversations. You’re comfortable counseling clients and interviewing executives to develop this content. You’re able to tailor your writing to match the voice and authority of a veteran industry executive. You also have the research and reporting skills to write a compelling byline from scratch if necessary.
- Editing: You’re an excellent editor who can identify ways to improve any type of writing, whether it’s line edits informed by a firm knowledge of AP Style or high-level feedback. You’re also able to provide counsel and constructive feedback to more junior writers on staff.
- Program/project management: You’re organized and capable of overseeing multiple programs at once. You can manage deadlines, delegate effectively and break big projects into smaller parts.
- Travel: While this role doesn’t involve weekly travel, it does require that you can travel to and from client/new business meetings as needed.
Bonus points for any of the following:
- Established relationships with contributed content editors at top business and technology publications
- Experience analyzing raw data for publication in reports/articles
- Knowledge of social media management, SEO/SEM, digital advertising, social listening, web analytics
- Experience developing video, audio or interactive content
- Experience pitching new business
- Team and/or direct report management experience
- Speechwriting chops
- Project management experience
- Prior agency experience