What makes us Mission North?
- We’re a down-to-earth team that knows how to have fun at work and outside the office
- We believe in lifelong learning and personal growth
- Recognizing employees for their hard work is deeply embedded in our culture
- And we offer some pretty amazing perks
About the Job
- As our first Vice President of Media Strategy, your job is to evolve Mission North's media offerings and advance the company’s leadership in all things media relations. This is the company’s most senior media-focused role at the agency, straddling business strategy, client relations and media relations. It’s ideal for someone who aspires to continue cultivating their media skills while contributing deeply to company leadership and growth.
- This is a full-time position reporting to one of the agency partners and can be based in either our Brooklyn office.
Here’s what you would be doing day-to-day:
- Serves as managing director for the company’s internal Media Practice of media specialists and ex-journalists (~10 people)
- Leads the development of new media products and monetization opportunities for Mission North; evolves existing ones. This can include media trainings, media tours, events, broadcast programs and more
- Serves as a passionate internal advocate for Media Practice members and evolves roles and responsibilities for practice members as needed
- Serves as media lead on key accounts and acts as a strategic consultant across the company’s roster of accounts
- Acts as a trusted media advisor for clients — is able to navigate tricky situations with both clients and media, and coach teams to do the same
- Pitches top-tier media and secures strategic coverage for clients across our portfolio
- Fosters excitement and passion among staff to improve their media relations skills and gives them the tools to do so, including leading company brown bags and 1:1 coaching
- Generates new business lead flow for the agency, and drives new business pitches in partnership with other senior leads
- Cultivates the agency’s sphere of influence with media, VCs, etc.
- Manages direct reports
- Minimum 10 years experience in PR and media relations, either in tech corporations or startups, or client service agency environments
- Domain expertise in one or more of the following Practice Areas: Future Stack (development tools and infrastructure); Future of Work (workplace technologies); Fintech, Growth (marketing and ad technologies); Trust (security and privacy)
- Maintains deep knowledge of the evolution of the media and PR landscape; is always looking for ways to better map media approaches to industry trends
- Previous success leading teams
- Direct report management experience
- Experience developing and launching new service offerings, including involvement in pricing
- Maintains top-tier rolodex of media relationships
- Additional strengths in any all of the following: broadcast, influencer campaigns, crisis comms and/or paid media strategies
- Alignment with our core values, particularly Invest in Team, Test Yourself, Do What You Say and Give Back
- Minimum BA/BS degree